Whether you're having your wedding soon, or have been a guest at one, you'd be surprised at everything that goes into the entertainment portion!
A good deal is not always a good DJ: Professional DJs will charge anywhere from $750 to $3,500, depending on your area, for a 4 hour wedding reception, with the average cost nationwide being $2,000.
You are paying for more than just a "jukebox," or a DJ who just hits the play button. The cost includes quality of not just the play time on the day of your wedding, but on average, 12-20 hours planning, travel (and wear on vehicle), expertise and experience, and quality of equipment. The last thing you want is poor sound for an intimate ceremony or a fun party!
According to Modern Bride Magazine, only 5% of a wedding budget is spent on the entertainment, but over 50% of guests remember the music more than the food they had, the outfits people wore, or even the aesthetic details of the venue!
72% of brides say they would have spent more time and money on their musical entertainment if they could do it over again
65% of weddings who hired a band later said they wish they'd chosen a DJ instead, due to the wider catalogue of music, with recognizable singers.
The "wedding season" is June through September, with the busiest month being June.
Of 100 couples polled who did an "iPod wedding," only approximately 25% of them said the technology worked without issue, music was perfectly planned, and there was enough power for all parts of the ceremony. The remaining 75% said they would rather have paid more to have a DJ.
Seat elderly guests away from the speakers.
Seat children close to the dance floor so they can get up and dance!
Don't be afraid to have a kids-only dance.
The bride needs to dance first or no one will.
You should have a dance floor, and not just a slab of concrete; that ends up cold and uncomfortable to dance on.
Encourage your guests to wear/bring comfortable shoes...or supply flip-flops for everyone!
Don't put baby, or the DJ in the corner. For best sound, he should be front and center, with the dance floor directly in front of him.
While not required, DJs are generally tipped 15% of their total cost.